Growing up in Alabama, Wisconsin (Go Pack Go!), Ohio, Arizona, and New Jersey, I enjoyed writing and speaking through each of the grade levels I went through. I graduated from Willingboro (NJ) High School in 1979. I eventually ended up at Grand Canyon College (now Grand Canyon University), where I earned my Bachelor of Arts in Theatre/Speech with a minor in Religion. I graduated with honors in 1985. I traveled with an international communications ministry called Covenant Players for about 19 years. It was my time with Covenant Players that helped me develop a love for teaching. I saw in my world travels the life-altering power of communication in all its forms. The University of Texas at Arlington became the place where I earned my Teacher Certification in Speech Communication. I added my Teacher Certification in English Language Arts a year later.
My full-time occupation is teaching the 7th and 8th Graders of Reed Middle School (Duncanville ISD) the joy of communication as I teach three subjects: Basics of Communication, Professional Business Communication, and Yearbook. My duties include being the Chair for the Career Technology Education Department, being a Mentor Teacher, and being an advisor for the Youth and Government Debate Team. I also have the honor of being a Tour Guide for the Texas Rangers Major League Baseball Team (I am in my 16th season). I am an active member of my home church – Rush Creek Mira Lagos – where I help with the Children’s Ministry in any way I can. My service as a member of two Toastmasters Clubs helps me to grow in my skills as a communicator and leader.
My areas of specialty as a speaker are the areas of leadership, writing, speaking, education, and personal growth. I have created presentations on how to use a Haiku for creating a speech; learning how to tell your personal story; and how to use everyday life to teach life lessons. I am able to create presentations on almost any topic given to me.
Share Your Rainbow: The Power of Personal Narrative
- Our experiences shape our identity and are the mileposts of our personal journey.
- Reflect on your journey and see how you have grown over time.
- Learn an acronym that provides a structure for combining experiences and reflection into a personal narrative.
The Spoken Words of Change
- The power of words to truly change the lives of those struggling with hardships in life
- The presenter gives firsthand experience in how communication (in verbal and non-verbal
- The presentation shows how a person’s love and caring influence their communication choices in a dynamic way.
Haiku Speech Writing – A Unique Approach to Designing a Speech
- The Japanese form of Poetry called the Haiku lends itself very well to the writing of almost any type of speech.
- Through learning a well-used method of creating Haikus, a participant in this presentation will realize their creativity in the writing of an effective speech.
- The presentation demonstrates how this process is adaptable for writing projects as well.
- Master of Ceremonies
- Keynote Presentation
- Meeting Facilitator
- Breakout Session Leader
- Speak on the Benefits of Toastmasters