District 25’s fall speech contest season opens Thursday, September 8th. Throughout this fall, you could attend a speech contest almost every Thursday, Friday or Saturday to see Toastmasters compete for the honor of advancing to the District Humorous Speech and Evaluations contests, held at our Fall Conference November 18-19.
According to the Toastmasters International Speech Contest Rulebook, “Speech contests are an important part of the Toastmasters educational program. They provide an opportunity for Toastmasters to gain speaking experience, as well as an opportunity for other Toastmasters to learn by observing proficient speakers.”
SO WHAT’S IN IT FOR ME . . .
AS A SPEAKER?
- Your fellow club members cheer you on as you pit your speaking skills against others in a non-threatening, fun, friendly atmosphere.
- Take a risk and polish your speaking skills. Win or lose, the experience will carry you down the road to future successes.
- Present in a larger venue before a larger audience, some of whom are strangers to you.
- Prepare for stepping outside the club to give presentations at non-Toastmasters events in your workplace, community organization, or church.
AS AN AUDIENCE?
- Cheer on competitors from your club, area, and/or division!
- Get great ideas for techniques to use in your own manual speeches, evaluations, and table topics. By observing the best, you can learn to do your best!
- Enjoy free entertainment! It’s cheaper than a movie!
- Network with fellow Toastmasters from other clubs!
- Meet District leaders and learn about upcoming District events!
AS A VOLUNTEER?
- Sign up to be a Test Speaker in the Evaluations Contest. Practice your speech delivery and get
feedback from our best Evaluators!
- Develop leadership skills by serving in a major role as the Toastmaster, Contest Chairman, or Chief Judge! Ensure that the contest runs smoothly by serving as a timer, vote counter or SAA!
- Practice organizational skills by helping with registration, facilities, refreshments, awards, publicity, or program design.
- Online resources for all the above are available, including updated contest forms.
- Let your Area or Division Governor know how you can help!
GROW AS A SPEAKER, LISTENER, SUPPORTER, LEADER, AND ORGANIZER!
PLAN NOW TO ATTEND OUR DISTRICT 25 SPEECH CONTESTS!
Lt. Governor Education and Training
by Jodie Sanders